Here is a warning for all the Android users, the new virus has come up which can attack the banking applications. This new malware can steal personal and sensitive information from your android smartphones. But this virus especially targets financial applications , users SMS messages, and can even intercept SMS messages.
This new virus is called the EventBot virus which might prove vulnerable for Android users who use mobile banking. According to the Computer Emergency Response Team of India(CERT-In), the national technology arm to combat cyberattacks and guard the Indian cyberspace. It says that the Trojan virus may “masquerade as a legitimate application such as Microsoft Word, Adobe flash and others using third party application can infiltrate into victim device”.
A Trojan virus often enters a device by cheating the user into believing that it is software the user needs. And it will then attack operating from within.
Apps that the EventBot Virus targets:-
CERT-In also warns that EventBot Virus targets over 200 different applications which also includes banking apps. Besides these, it also includes money transfer services and cryptocurrency wallets and other financial apps. The apps may be like PayPal Business, Revolut, Barclays, UniCredit, CapitalOne UK, HSBC UK, TransferWise, Coinbase, Paysafecard, and so on.
Till now the EventBota has not been found yet in Google Playstore application. But It can use third party markets to mask themselves to enter operating systems. The advisory also explained that once the EventBota is installed on victim’s Android device the following things happen:
- It asks permissions such as controlling system alerts
- Reading external storage content
- Installing additional packages
- Accessing the internet.
- Whitelisting it to ignore battery optimization
- Prevent the processor from sleeping or dimming the screen.
- Auto-initiate upon reboot.
- Receive and read SMS messages.
- Continue running and accessing data in the background.
- It can also retrieve notifications about other installed applications and read contents of other applications
- Moreover, the EventBota can even read lock screen and in-app PIN that can give the attacker more privileged access over victim’s device.
The agency has revealed some measure so that you guys can avoid becoming victim to this new malware and those are as follows:
- Avoid using unsecured and unknown Wi-Fi networks.
- Install strong AI-powered mobile antivirus.
- Avoid downloading and installing applications from untrusted sources like unknown websites and links.
- Instead of downloading and installing apps( even from Google Playstore) always review the app details, number of downloads, user reviews, comments, and the additional information section.
Also Checkout:- ‘JOKER’ Spyware Apps, remove them ASAP!